Spjall um víngerð og allt henni tengt.
Mano
Villigerill

Filtering homemade wine

Post by Mano »

Hi guys!
I have ready to be bottled:
24 liters of rose wine (kit from Áman)
24 liters of blueberry wine (I pick up the berries myself)
30 liters of Crownberry wine (krækiber)
9 liters of apple wine
Usually I do not filter my wines, I let aging do the work for me, but this time for some reasons, including blending, I would like to filter them. I know Áman is selling a fancy filter machine which I can not afford. So does anyone know whether is possible to rent one of those filters machine? and where? Or maybe an alternative way of filtering my wines.
Thanks
Mano.
sigurdur
Æðstigerill

Re: Filtering homemade wine

Post by sigurdur »

Hvað með gelatín?
Mano
Villigerill

Post by Mano »

Oh yes, gelatin ( or any other fining in general). I didn't think about it maybe because my wine has already cleared by itself. Nevertheless, I noticed very few solids particles floating in apple wine. I guess I introduce them myself accidentally when racking or something. Also I back-sweet blueberry and krækiber wine using a natural berry juice sold in Kronan. I drink that juice often and I've seen some solids in it sometimes. This why I got the filtering idea.
Thanks for the comment Sigurður.
FriðrikH
Villigerill

Post by FriðrikH »

Hi Mano, I'm sorry I don't have an input regarding the filtering of the wine but I'm very interested in how you made your krækiberjavín as I am planning on making a batch this fall when the krækiber will be ripe. Do you have some pointers you might give me or maybe just send me a link to a site that has information regarding that if you know of such a site?

Best regards, Fridrik
Mano
Villigerill

Post by Mano »

Hi Fridrik
Thanks for your comments.
Oh yes, lets make my experience with krækiber public. Krækiberjavín has been a very interesting one, now it is 10 months old and its ready to be bottled. I'm just waiting for the right weekend to do it.
Hey Fridrik, I will open a new post with all the information about my Krækiberjavín as soon as possible. I am sure somebody else have tried it as well, so hopefully we'll have comments.
cheers
Mano
Villigerill

Post by Mano »

ahh regarding to filtering
Áma does rent the filter machine (mini jet). It cost 1000 isk for 24 hours or whole weekend. You have to buy the paper filter separately.

;)
FriðrikH
Villigerill

Post by FriðrikH »

Mano wrote:Hi Fridrik
Thanks for your comments.
Oh yes, lets make my experience with krækiber public. Krækiberjavín has been a very interesting one, now it is 10 months old and its ready to be bottled. I'm just waiting for the right weekend to do it.
Hey Fridrik, I will open a new post with all the information about my Krækiberjavín as soon as possible. I am sure somebody else have tried it as well, so hopefully we'll have comments.
cheers
:beer: :beer: thank you, I'll be checking in here regularly then :)